On October 1st, 2014, I had the pleasure of attending the small business seminar entitled, “It’s not about you, it’s about Bacon!” Hosted by Old Plank Trail Bank in Frankfort, IL, the keynote speaker was Brian Basilico.
Not only is Brian a college professor, he runs his own B2B marketing business and attends over 20 networking events every month. Why does he do it? Because Brian loves to learn. Although a teacher, he takes everything he does and learns from it.
Brian offered great advice on B2B marketing as well entertained us by keeping things real. Here are some of the key points I learned from this event that may be beneficial to your business’s marketing efforts:
- Relationships are the currency of business.
- People do business with people they know, like, and trust.
- The most shared items on the internet involve Kittens and Bacon.
- Flipboard is an application you can use to turn your social media postings into a digital magazine.
- Listen to people twice as much as you talk (you have two ears and one mouth, for a reason!)
- Take pictures of others and share them on your own social media platforms.
- Edu-tain and info-tain on social media- Be active and responsive.
- Pictures increase engagement by 70%.
- Don’t post just about your business.
- Have fun.
- Be authentic.
- Social media is the medium, social networking is the relationship.
- Gaining Trust: Give 100% of yourself 100% of the time and expect nothing in return.
- Recommend someone else on LinkedIn out of the blue- Just because!
- LinkedIn is wide open property, unlike Yelp. You can copy and paste reviews about your business or yourself on flyers, brochures, etc.
- Great content is KING!
- On a website, a person spends on average 3 clicks and 2 minutes.
- Differentiate yourself from others and find what makes you more “connectable.”
We thank Old Plank Trail Bank in Frankfort, IL for hosting this event. With advice from Brian Basilico and as well as my own experiences, I am excited to delve deeper into the world of B2B marketing!
-Stephanie Shostok, Designer/Account Representative at Sharn Enterprises, Inc
Follow us on Facebook & Twitter!